There is nothing better than Huevos Rancheros for a special breakfast (perhaps even in bed!). The secret of good Huevos Rancheros is the sauce. The spicy tomato sauce should wake up your taste buds and warm up your tummy. This dish says feast! So if you’re looking to impress, knock this out.
This easy, all natural homemade ranchero sauce is gonna be your favourite! Loaded with onions, multi colored bell peppers, garlic, tomatoes, it’s all real food without any of those pesky store bought food preservatives.
Prep Time: 5 minutes.
Cook Time: 25 minutes.
Total Time: 30 minuttes.
For the huevos Rancheros
4 corn tortillas
2 tbsp refried beans
1 cup ranchero sauce. See the recipe below.
2 tbsp queso fresco
- In a hot skillet cook the tortillas, one at a time, cooking each side for 1 to 2 minutes, or until bubbles begin to form on the surface. Remove from skillet and cover to keep warm.
- Crack eggs into the same skillet and cook to desired doneness.
- Place each tortilla on a serving plate, topping each with half of the refried beans, half of the ranchero sauce and one prepared egg.
- Garnish with queso fresco and cilantro, if desired. Serve warm!
For the Ranchero Sauce
6 ripe medium tomatoes
1/2 medium yellow onion
1 Anaheim pepper
1-2 garlic cloves
1/4 red bell pepper
1 handful cilantro leaves
Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 475° F/250° C.
- Arrange all the vegetables on the baking sheet (no cilantro here yet) Bake until the skins are becoming black all over, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Discard the skins and transfer the veggies into the blender. Add the handful of cilantro. Blend until smooth.
- Over a medium heat cook the sauce for 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Use the sauce right away or allow to come to room temperature before storing in an air-tight container. The ranchero sauce can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 1 week and can be frozen for up to 3 months.